top of page

Chaetomium: The Dangers of This Common Household Mold


Chaetomium is a type of mould that can be found both indoors and outdoors. It is often found in damp or water-damaged buildings. While it is not known to cause serious health problems in humans, it can cause skin irritation and respiratory problems in people with allergies or asthma. In pets, Chaetomium can cause skin irritation and respiratory problems. If you think you may have Chaetomium in your home, it is essential to have it cleaned up by a professional.



Toxic mould Chaetomium found in bathroom ceiling
Chaetomium found in this bathroom


What is Chaetomium?

Chaetomium is a type of mould that is commonly found in households. While it is not necessarily harmful to humans, it can be dangerous to animals. Chaetomium produces toxins that can cause liver and kidney damage in animals and can also cause neurological problems. In some cases, Chaetomium exposure has been linked to cancer in animals. While there is no evidence that Chaetomium is harmful to humans, it is essential to be aware of the potential dangers of this common household mould.


Where is Chaetomium found?

Chaetomium is a type of mould that is commonly found in households. While it is not typically harmful to humans, it can pose a danger to those with respiratory problems or weakened immune systems. If you suspect that you have Chaetomium in your home, it is essential to have it professionally removed as soon as possible.



image of a built-in cupboard ceiling covered in Chaetomium mould due to water intrusion
Chaetomium found in a built-in cupboard after storm water intrusion from roof


What are the dangers of Chaetomium?

Chaetomium is a common household mould that can be extremely dangerous if inhaled. This mould is water damage or water intrusion areas and bathrooms.


The spores of this mould can cause severe respiratory problems, including asthma and bronchitis. In extreme cases, Chaetomium exposure can lead to death. Always wear a mask when cleaning or working in a place where Chaetomium mould is present.

How to clean Chaetomium?

Chaetomium is a type of mould that is commonly found in households. While it is not generally considered dangerous, it can cause some health problems if not cleaned correctly.



image of a HEPA air scrubber used to sanitize the air during water damage mould removal job
HEPA Air scrubber used in a mould removal job due to water damage


Best tips on how to clean chaetomium toxic mould:


- First, identify where the mould is growing. Chaetomium loves damp, dark areas such as basements or bathrooms. Mould on bathroom ceiling is expected due to lack of extraction, and mould grows due to prolonged exposure to moisture.

- Once you have found the source of the mould, you will need to remove any affected materials. This may include drywall, insulation, or carpeting. Usually, they can be easily detected as there will be mould on ceilings or mould on walls.


- Thoroughly clean mould-infected area. Always refer to the mould removal standards and ensure the right PPE gear is worn during the mould removal process.

19 views0 comments

Comments


bottom of page